Transition for Teens
The Transition Program is designed for students with visual impairments, ages 14-22, to equip them with the skills and knowledge needed to be prepared for life after high school. More specifically, the program helps to ensure participating students transition successfully into college, technical school, employment and/or living on their own.
During the school year, the Year Round Transition Program is offered every Tuesday from 2 pm – 6:30 pm at the Lighthouse of Pinellas.
On Thursdays from 2:45 pm – 4:30 pm an additional Keyboarding Class is offered.
Once a month, students take Saturday fieldtrips to various locations learning the importance of being active and giving back to their community. The Summer Transition Program (STP) is provided during the months of June and July.
During STP, the students participate in a 9-day paid work experience as well as spend time on a college campus to learn about college life and independent living.
For all programming, large and small group instruction is provided to help participants learn and/or practice the skills they will need to accomplish their post-secondary goal(s). The Lighthouse works collaboratively with each student’s Teacher of the Visually Impaired and/or school towards meeting the unique needs of the students. Instruction is provided in all nine areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum of Students with Visual Impairments:
- Self-Determination Skills (learning to advocate, problem solving skills, etc.)
- Social Skills (increasing self-esteem, companionship, etc.)
- Assistive Technology Skills (keyboarding skills, use of adaptive software, instruction in use of iPad, etc.)
- Compensatory Skills (Braille, signature writing, organizational skills, etc.)
- Career and Vocational Education Skills (interview skills, resume writing, etc.)
- Orientation and Mobility Skills (safe travel skills, bus skills, etc.)
- Recreation and Leisure Skills
- Independent Living Skills (cooking, budgeting, etc.)
- Visual Efficiency Skills (use of low vision devices such as a telescope and/or magnifier to access printed materials)
To begin the application process for the Transition Program please complete and submit the following forms
(Please note all applicantions will be forwarded to the Florida Division of Blind Services for consideration):
- Click the link to view the Transition Application Form
- Click the link to view the Transition Medical Information Form
- Click the link to view the Permission Release Form
Transition Program Log-in